gcc bug affects NTLMSSP authentication helper

From: Chemolli Francesco (USI) <ChemolliF@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 11:43:45 +0100

There is a bug in gcc version egcs-2.91.66 which under certain
conditions can cause the NTLMSSP helper to fail with with a
segmentation violation or illegal instruction error.
Such an occurrence (which happens when a Domain Controller
can't be contacted to obtain a challenge) will cause the helper
to crash and squid to die as a result.

The bug occurs AT ANY OPTIMIZATION LEVEL ABOVE AND INCLUDING
"-O".

The compiler is the one shipped by default of
Red Hat Linux 6.2, and possibly other Gnu/Linux distributions.

For our fellow gurus: should we enable some workaround via
configure, should we try to work around the gcc bug by
changing the code, should we put some warning in the
INSTALL file or something else?

--
	/kinkie