RE: [SQU] Squid Performance

From: Phil Pierotti <phil.pierotti@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 17:53:00 -0800

I'm in the middle of building a Squid 2.4 (nightly tarball) on top of a RH
7.0 (hacked ISO including ReiserFS) and then upgraded to 2.4 (currently
2.4.1)

Basic Squid is up and running, using DiskD with multiple cache_dir entries.
(I'm "in the middle of" only in the sense that now I'm going to reconfigure
it as a transparent proxy)

I mount ReiserFS with "notail,noatime" (on the cache storage) and it works
just fine. I have not had any problems.

Having Said That, let me also say YMMV.

I have not performance tested this.

Nor have I seriously stress tested, though I have run several simultaneous
sessions of Copernic (search engine of search engines) validating (via HTTP
HEAD) the existence of 1000's of URLs.

Nor have I done any quantitative comparison between this system running 2.4
kernel or running 2.2 kernel.

If you really wanna know if it's worth upgrading to the newer/est kernel for
performance reasons, then the only way you'll ever know is upgrade one of
your Squid boxes (assuming you have > 1) and benchmark it in your
environment using your normal configuration.

Enjoy,
PhiL P