Re: [SQU] Squid Performance

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 22:35:55 -0600

I benchmarked Linux 2.2 versus Linux 2.4Pre some time ago (3-4 months I
guess) and found 2.4 to be measurably slower for Squid workloads, even
with the suggested tuning to 'go back' to the elevator behaviour of 2.2.
  This was under both ReiserFS and Ext2 (Reiser still being the faster
of the two).

This has probably been remedied mostly by now. And the amount of
difference is probably not severe enough to be noticed by most users.
If you're running your caches that heavily loaded, they're probably due
for at least a memory upgrade anyway. To put a number on it, I'd say
the difference is definitely not more than 10%, but not much less than
that either.

                                   --
                      Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com>
                  Affordable Web Caching Proxy Appliances