[SQU] SUMMARY: Proxy Authentication Issues

From: HUNT_STEVE <HUNT_STEVE@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2001 09:33:32 -0800

Thank you all for your suggestions.

I want to use Squid to allow authenticated users from outside our network to
relay traffic through our IP address space, so that they may access
IP-restricted information resources maintained by third parties. E.g.:
encyclopedias, magazine article databases. These third parties aren't
running https, and they want us to authenticate the users, they don't want
to do it themselves.

I have not looked at IPSec before, as Henrik suggests. I'm not sure if I
can use it to do what I want to do.

Here is a link from the Linux FreeS/WAN project (an implementation of IPSEC
& IKE for Linux. "IPSEC is Internet Protocol SECurity. It uses strong
cryptography to provide both authentication and encryption services."
http://www.xs4all.nl/~freeswan/

Jason Haar said "Basic plus switched network - end of problem! ;-)"
I do have a switched network here in our LAN, but these users are coming
into our proxy server from ISPs. So I don't think I can rest easy.

Jim Drash said that SecurID works great, but it is apparently a commercial
product. I can't buy licenses for 30,000 students!

So it seems there is no cheap (free) secure way to do this?