Re: [SQU] Squid and Streaming Media ...

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2001 15:46:27 -0600

Wouldn't that be nice?

But the answer is a big fat NO. The media formats you mention are not
free formats, and caching them requires cooperation of the origin
server. This means /big/ licensing fees for the person doing the
caching or the person selling the caching system. (Possibly not
QuickTime...I'm not sure about the licensing issues involved in that,
even though the server is open source, I believe, under the Apple public
license--a mostly open license with a few ugly restrictions).

Thus, none of those formats will ever be cachable by Squid. Ogg Vorbis
would be legally cachable by Squid or any other open source cache, but I
know of no one working on it. Mp3 might be...but commercial users would
have to pay the mp3 tax for it's use. So I'd say any initiative in that
direction would best be spent on Vorbis caching and splitting.

                                   --
                      Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com>
                  Affordable Web Caching Proxy Appliances