RE: [SQU] current CVS ... diskd config args changed ...

From: Phil Pierotti <phil.pierotti@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2001 15:01:24 -0800

So then I'm going to have to ask the obvious question.

I have a Dual PIII/500 with 1GB of RAM and 4 x 18G drives (7200rpm).

Running RH7/2.4.2 , ReiserFS (notail,noatime) and Squid 2.4 with DiskD.

Given that for me adding RAM is entirely doable, but faster CPUs or
Faster/More drives is not, would I gain anything by seperating each drive
into 2 or maybe 3 seperate cache_dir statements, rather than just one per
drive?

ie on the theory that multiple diskd per drive would mean that IO requests
could possibly queue up per disk at the OS/Filesystem level and any OS level
elevator sorting (or something) might maybe optimize disk IO performance
some.

Thanks,
Phil P