Re: [SQU] Replacing MS Proxy Server with Squid

From: Vishwanath Paranjape <vish@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2001 22:49:10 +0530

yes that can be done

but why to do this kind of connectivity?
why are the dependancies increased...

This is useful if you are not running TCP/IP on your network
and want to give access to internet

but practically how many networks have we come across that do not run TCP/IP
(and cannot run) ?

one more thing...
i haven't faced the prob but it might be interesting to know how a proxy
client and server will communicate when placed across a router in different
segments.

just for the sake of proxy, NETBIOS needs to be enabled on the
router...again an ivitation to increased broadcast traffic...

MS should have given option of IP address OR netbios name

they add some feature, which later on in practical life turns out to be a
problem
another one is the AUTOMATIC IP ADDRESS ASSIGNMENT OF WIN2K

vish