Re: [SQU] Squid is NOT a FTP proxy .. now what ?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2001 17:58:12 +0100

Fabrice Laborie wrote:

> I thought that if squid was able to fetch a page on a ftpserver, half of
> the work is already done ;-)

More like 1/50'th of the work actually..

> but I guess that if pple put more energy on this list saying what squid
> is not instead of turning squid
> into a ftpproxy, there must be a reason ....
> any trick hidden?

The FTP protocol is very stateful, which HTTP is not.

> somebody has done a sizing of the effort to do this work? any pre-alfa
> version around ??
>
> - what are you guys out there using as a work around ?
> I NEED to proxyfy FTP requests .... (caching would be a nice feature.
> but I'd survive without that)

SuSe has made a GPL FTP proxy daemon (no cache).

There is also a FTP proxy in the TIS FWTK (again with no cache), with a
somewhat restrictive license..

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid hacker with his hand deep in the FTP part of Squid