RE: [SQU] Cobalt CacheRaq vs Traditional

From: J. Scott Johnson <sjohnson@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 13:39:38 -0500

I looked pretty extensively at Cobalt boxes this past fall and can give you
some additional feedback on general aspects of these boxes, but not not much
specifically on CacheRaq:

1. It may be Linux but its a non-standard package format for everything so
expect difficulties moving software onto it. I.e. its a Convert RPM ->
Proprietary Whatever, grab your but and hope it works.

2. Their package library consequently is rarely up to date -- i.e. SendMail
is a few versions behind, etc.

3. Before wide spread knowledge of Webmin, their best asset was a prebuilt
UI for simple configuration.

4. They are now running AMD K6 processors but fairly slow (450 comes to
mind).

5. They are pricy although they appear cheap (i.e. the low end models have
tiny amounts of ram).

6. They are available thru www.pcconnection.com on a special order basis.

7. The MIPS processors are (I believe) dead with the acquisition of Cobalt
by Sun.

8. 3rd party support is waning. For example, my isp, rackspace.com,
refuses to provide ANY backup at all for cobalt. Pretty strong incentive
for RedHat, huh?

9. They look pretty.

I strongly suspect that you would do a lot better with an Industry standard
Linux box such as SwellTech as opposed to the Cobalt stuff.

J. Scott Johnson
The Fuzzygroup, LLC
* * * * * * * * * * * * Physical
80 Spring Road