Re: [SQU] Cobalt CacheRaq vs Traditional

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 12:27:52 -0600

Yep. CacheRaq is a MIPs box (also Intel versions, I think), running
Squid, and a web panel.

Performance of the Cobalt boxes has been quite poor in the past (see the
IRCache DataComm cacheoff results). There are better buys IMHO, for
performance and support, in Squid based appliances (ahem--Swell--cough
cough). And there is nothing stopping you from installing Webmin on a
standard Squid box to have a nice full featured Web administration panel
with online help. It's easy to match or beat their performance on your
own, because it seems they do little performance tweaking.

Merely the opinions of a competing Squid-based appliance vendor...
Others may feel differently.

                                   --
                      Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com>
                  Affordable Web Caching Proxy Appliances