[squid-users] httpd_accel_uses_host_header and Virtual Hosts problem

From: Raśl Ortiz-Boyero <Raul.Ortiz@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 12:48:30 -0000

Hi there,
Sorry if somebody has posted this problem before but I have checked the FAQ
and the searchable archive and I cannot find any relevant information
regarding the problem I'm experiencing.
I'm trying to use Squid Version 2.3.STABLE4 in order to accelerate several
back-end virtual Apache-SSL webservers running on the same local machine.
Squid is listening on port 80 and Apache runs on port 8090. My basic problem
is that this is not working at all! All works perfectly ok when I accelerate
one host but stops working when I activate the directive
'httpd_accel_uses_host_header', which I understand is necessary in order to
get the virtual hosts stuff working. I need to pass the host part of the
HTTP header to Apache so it knows where to go to look for the DocumentRoot
for each of the Virtual Hosts running.

The main bits of my squid.conf look like this:

http_port 80
httpd_accel_host virtual
httpd_accel_port 8090
httpd_accel_with_proxy off on
httpd_accel_uses_host_header on

acl acceleratedHost dst 127.0.0.1/255.255.255.255
acl acceleratedPort port 8090
acl all src 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0
# my test PC has an IP of 192.168.0.93/255.255.255.0
acl myNet src 192.168.0.0/255.255.0.0
# we also don't want requests for localhost passed on to a peer
always_direct allow acceleratedHost
# Allow requests when they are to the accelerated machine AND to the
# right port
http_access allow acceleratedHost acceleratedPort
http_access allow myNet
http_access deny all

The documentation mentions that you must combine
'httpd_accel_uses_host_header' with strict source-address checks, so you
cannot use this option to accelerate multiple backend servers (although this
is certain to change in a later version of Squid). Does this mean that what
I'm trying to do will never work? If so, please let me know so I can start
evaluating other alternatives.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Raśl