Re: [squid-users] Slowness.....

From: Marc van Selm <marc.van.selm@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 08:55:55 +0100

At 05:51 PM 3/14/01 +1100, Ben Mckellar wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I have a 128ram which squid users 40meg. I have a current 22gig full cache
>out of a total 60gig. Over the last few weeks the performance of the proxy
>has degraded. Is the problem memory, I just want this confirmed :)

"My" Squid-2.2-STABLE5 uses a pretty stable 110MB of memory for 13G of
cache. I'd say that 22G cache requires more RAM than you have. If your
machine is swapping you lose performance big time...

I'd suggest upgrade to 384MB RAM.

Marc

>Is my souloution to this more ram? I beliew you should have squid using
>approx 1/3 of your system memory, is this correct. Anther general rule of
>thumb I read was 10meg of ram for every gig. Which means I should be
>running a machine with at least 600 meg?
>
>That correct?
>

>Thanx for your input.
>
>- Ben

Marc van Selm
NATO C3 Agency
Communication Systems Division, A-Branch
Tel: +31 70 3142454
E-mail: marc.van.selm@nc3a.nato.int (PGP capable)
Private: selm@cistron.nl, selm@het.net, http://www.cistron.nl/~selm