[squid-users] What load can SQUID cope with in accelerator mode?

From: Simon Morley <simon@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 11:26:20 -0000

Hi,
        I am trying to work out how much load I can expect to handle using SQUID in
accelerator mode. It would very much help if people could give me an idea of
what load they are coping with for a given hardware configuration and OS.

For example we have the following hardware:-

Dual PIII 800Mhz with 1GB RAM and 8GB SCSI for the cache.
This is running Linux with a 2.2 kernel.

SQUID is in accelerator mode and is running with a pool of 30 redirectors
which munge URL's from public to internal representation. This all front
end's a pool of Windows 2000 servers which runs our service.

At peak load we are getting about 100 requests a second, of which I am
getting a 95% hit rate with the average object size being around 6KB. This
uses about 6 to 7% CPU and around 2 or 3 of the redirectors to be in
permanent use.

This does suggest that we will run out of bandwidth before SQUID runs out of
power, but I want to get more *real world* values.

Simon