Re: [squid-users] What load can SQUID cope with in accelerator mode?

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 12:36:24 -0600

In my tests, hardware like yours will max out at about 400-500 reqs/sec,
most likely, for accelerating a site that will mostly fit in RAM (the
popular stuff anyway--rarely accessed objects can pull from disk). The
second CPU in your systems is almost useless for Squid at this time
(unless you run two squids and use policy routing to roughly evenly
divide your traffic between them).

Of course the redirectors may or may not effect this...some are faster
than others, and it also depends on how many rules are being checked on
your redirectors. Obviously a large number of regex rules will slow
things down.

You should be aware, however, that Squid's CPU behavior isn't linearly
scalable. Up to some point it is, but eventually a poll loop begins to
show its flaws (one of which is the inability to scale to multiple
processors without using multiple processes).

                                   --
                      Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com>
                  Affordable Web Caching Proxy Appliances