[squid-users] Réf. : RE: [squid-users] capacity of squid

From: <patrice.valentin@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 15:43:02 +0100

Hi, i'm affraid you're wrong on my problem, it's not 500 users it's more than
5000 (i know it exactly now, it's over 27000 users) , my bandwith is 2Mb/s (LS
with the cache of my provider) my proxy is behind a firewall, with 100Mb/s
conections.
I had to know exactly what i can do with squid, we'll try a cacheflow 5000 next
week, so i want to have details on the capacity of my squid, is this server fast
enough ? do i have to create a cache farm of squids to support more than 20000
users ? I actually know that my lease line is not enough to support all users,
but if i have enough bandwith, can my squid server support all the requests ?
TIA
Patrice Valentin

ps : i don't know that micro$oft have made a proxy server, so please don't hurt
me with this ;-)

"Hamid Hashemi Golpayegani" <hamid@morva.net> le 16/03/2001 15:21:05

Pour : Patrice VALENTIN/FR/CHQ/GECALSTHOM@GA, squid-users@squid-cache.org
cc :

Objet : RE: [squid-users] capacity of squid

Hey Patrice ,

Just try it ! Do you think that Squid is an MSProxy or something like that
?!
You machine is too strong too handle all of your 500 clients . But the only
thinks that you must tell us is that how much is your bandwidth ?!
I am trying something like this machine may be worse than this one for a 4
MegaBit send and receive sattelite line for about 500 client that 200 of
them are dial-up and works prefectly .
Just try it ! and don't forget to tune your squid machine to use async-io
and reiserFS if you are using Linux or use Diskd on FreeBSD .

   /  Seyyed Hamid Reza    /        WINDOWS FOR NOW  !!            /
  /  Hashemi Golpayegani  /  Linux for future , FreeBSD for ever  /
/  Network Administrator/ hamid@morva.net   ,   ICQ# : 42209876 /