Re: [squid-users] ident packages and the "Unknown" user

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 18:58:23 +0100

What do you mean by "Unknown"?

Does Squid log the username "Unknown", or the standard "-" for <unknown
user>.

If it is logging "Unknown" then your ident server is returning Unknown
to Squid.

It is is logging "-", then Squid failed to receive a ident reply in
time.

Note for Squid's ident processing: By default Squid does not wait for
ident lookups to complete. If the request finishes before the ident
lookup has completed then "-" will be logged. You can change this by

One way to force Squid to wait for the ident to complete is to use ident
in a dummy http_access line.

acl do_ident ident REQUIRED
acl none src 0.0.0.0/32
http_access deny do_ident none