Re: [squid-users] issue with one of joe coopers modifcations

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 01:23:00 -0600

Hi Greg,

Using my instructions has nothing to do with having too little memory in
your machine to handle a cache that size. 73 L1 directories??? Are you
really using a cache_dir that large?

You are simply filling up your RAM with an in-core index of the cache
contents. This is normal behavior--Squid keeps a record of every object
in the store in memory. If your store is gigantic (as yours clearly
is), and your memory is not gigantic to match, you will run out of
memory. There is no leak, and there is no flaw in the malloc used by
default in Red Hat 6.2.

Lower your cache_dirs to something sensible (1GB for every 10MB of RAM
is a safe number for a standard Squid compile--a little more RAM is
needed for an async i/o compile). This too, is covered in my
documentation for tuning Squid on Linux.

Hope this helps.

                                    --
                      Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com>
                  Affordable Web Caching Proxy Appliances