Fwd: [squid-users] Problem with proxy authentication

From: Miguel De la Borda <mborda@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 09:36:29 -0500

you need create a especial file for users and passwords. different of the etc/passwd for the system. create these file with htpasswd -c file user

regards

miguel de la Borda
Forwarded Mail received from: anils <anils@multitech.co.in>

attached mail follows:

Hi,

        We are running our squid caching proxy in Redhat Linux 7.0 (
kernel 2.2.16-22 ) . We are able to use the proxy without any user
authentication. Now I want to do some user authentication. For that I
compiled the ncsa_auth module and copied it to /usr/local/squid/bin
directory.

My squid.conf has the following entries...

authenticate_program /usr/local/squid/bin/ncsa_auth /etc/passwd
authenticate_children 5

acl testusers proxy_auth arun raj kesav

http_access allow testusers

when I start squid it spawns 5 processes of ncsa_auth with the argument
as /etc/passwd. But when i try to access any site after supplying my
username and password the proxy responds with a message "Proxy
Authentication Failed" eventhough my password is valid for that
username. I tried to use the ncsa_auth from command line it is working
perfectly alright.

If anybody has any idea....please respond immediately..

regrads
Anil .S
anils@multitech.co.in