Re: [squid-users] SNMP which object?

From: James R Grinter <jrg@dont-contact.us>
Date: 27 Mar 2001 17:36:37 +0000

"Palmer J.D.F." <J.D.F.Palmer@Swansea.ac.uk> writes:
> I am going to use SNMP from now on to detect squid fatalities, but I'd like
> to know which SNMP objects I should use to base my testing on.

I'd test with an attempt to retrieve an object through the cache. It's
the only true test of functionality.

Even if you tracked the values recording requests (or successful peer
fetches) you could hit a quiet period, or end up counting the ones
that are failing.

You will want to cover the cases of local cache failure (test fetching
a local-site object through the cache, with "Pragma: no-cache") and
remote failure (fetching a remote object through the cache, for which
you probably can't do much directly when it happens, but at least
you'll be able to tell users.)

James.