[squid-users] Does anyone know that ?

From: Yavuz Maşlak <ymmaslak@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 08:29:17 +0300

I use squid2.3 on Freebsd4.2 stable and it works as transparent

About 800 people (number of simultaneous users) use my squid to internet

I set max users =256 in my custom kernel

1 - What is the upper limit? What should it be ?

kern.maxfiles= ?
kern.maxfilesperproc= ?
What should it be the value of kern.maxfiles ?

My server has 2 cpu,P3-550Mhz, 2GByte Ram , also I have assigned 25Gbyte for cache_dir
2 - According to this values What should it be below values for my kernel ?
an example by Duane Wessels in www.squid-cache.org/Doc/FAQ/FAQ-8.html#ss8.7
      options "MAXDSIZ=(512*1024*1024)"
      options "DFLDSIZ=(128*1024*1024)"
      options "NMBCLUSTERS=10240"
        int maxfiles = 4096;
        int maxfilesperproc = 1024;

Because I have a problem I look at /var/log/messages and I see once xcalloc: Unable to allocate 4096 blocks of 1 bytes!"
After that my squid restart by itself However mysquid hadn't used swap
What shall I do ? Where can I findout about that ?

Thanks