[squid-users] Using Solid State drives for Performance

From: David Rumble <davidr@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 10:12:08 +0100

Hello

As Squid is an I/O intensive app, I have been working with a major user of
Squid running on Linux RH 2.2.16.(bespoke). Hardware no name 512MB, single
p2 300. Two test machines have been setup, One with a platypus Qikdrive
www.platypus.net (SSD 2GB capacity, upto 10MBps/15k Tps/Access times - 3/10
MICROSECONDS. The other with 2GB Scsi HDD.

After considerable testing there is no performance gain as far as HIT access
times are concerned. According to the drive spec/requestsPs equation one
would expect a significant improvement. (requests/sec1000000/access time).
Cpu and Bandwidth are within tolerances.

Does Squid use DISKD to cache to RAM? Are there any configs that need
changing? Any advice,comments would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
David Rumble