[squid-users] httpd accelerated server config questions

From: Einar Bordewich <einar-lists-squid-users@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 00:07:54 GMT

One of our hosting customer has a publishing solution based on PHP4, running
on a dual PIII 700 1Gb RAM. From time to time there is extremely high load
on one of the virtual domains, making PHP chew memory. The data is
generated dynamically, but it's realy static data, changed 1-4 times a day.

Regarding this, we have configured an squid httpd accelerated server planing
to put this in front of the individual domains. For now, we have only dummy
tested against temporarily sites. Seems to work excelent!

Is there any software available to stress test the squid?
Any tips on how to configure the apache server best way?
Any tips on how to best configure squid for caching timeout 5 to 60 minutes?
We want the httpd accelerated server to cache for the backend server(s), is
this entry needed: httpd_accel_with_proxy on
or is that only for allowing the accelerated server also to function as a
proxy? If so, I will set it to off.

Appreciate any comments on this, even if it's answering only parts of my
questions.

IDG New Media        Einar Bordewich
Development Manager  Phone: +47 2336 1420
E-Mail:              eibo(at)newmedia.no
Lat: 59.91144 N      Lon: 10.76097 E