Re: [squid-users] httpd accelerated server config questions

From: <stan@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2001 09:10:37 -0700 (PDT)

> Einar Bordewich wrote:
> >
> > We want the httpd accelerated server to cache for the backend server(s), is
> > this entry needed: httpd_accel_with_proxy on
>
> No and yes. It is not really needed for accelerator operation, but
> HTTP/1.1 standard requires it to be turned on as HTTP/1.1 servers MUST
> accept fully qualified URL's for compability with future HTTP versions.

I have a question related to this. I recently started running Squid 2.4
on one of my accelerators, and I saw it has a new option,
'httpd_accel_single_host'. The bit in the config file about this implies
that it should take care of this problem:

# If you are running Squid as a accelerator and have a single backend
# server then set this to on. This causes Squid to forward the request
# to this server irregardles of what any redirectors or Host headers
# says.

But when I enabled this, I still get occasional 403 errors from browsers
that send the full URL for a page on my server.

I had it set up with the public host name defined in /etc/hosts to point
to the back-end server, but I was still getting errors occasionally. Is
there a way to tell Squid not to use DNS at all and just use the hosts
file?

--
Stan Schwarz                | Extreme sports...offer "some kind of physical
System Administrator        | analog to the thrill of installing Linux or