Re: [squid-users] Informational Page at Login

From: Robert Collins <robert.collins@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 07:54:24 +1000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Espen Lyngaas" <Espen.Lyngaas@colorline.no>
To: <squid-users@squid-cache.org>
Cc: "Murphy Terrance M" <MurphyTerranceM@JohnDeere.com>
Sent: Thursday, April 05, 2001 1:11 AM
Subject: Re: [squid-users] Informational Page at Login

> I tried this about a year ago, and it wasn't possible then. Well, that
is -
> I couldn't do it - which is not the same thing.
>
> The reason is that the client makes one (1) request, and want one (1)
> response in return.
>
> I thought about ways to get around it, and one way of doing it would
be for
> squid to return the informational/welcome page on the request, and
that the
> info/welcome page contained a (eeek!) META-REFRESH tag which contained
the
> original URL the client requested.

And hope the user reads it ? :] I suspect a long timeout would be
needed.

> However, this would render all other applications except browsers
> completely without a clue as to what to do when they are talking to
the
> proxy, but I guess if you add a check for browser id, you could get
around
> that as well.

Unless the applications you are talking about use the embedded http
support microsoft supply. That could confuse things. Or an automated
download of pages with ie.

> Dodgy, but it might work.
>
> If you figure it out, I would very much like to know how! :)
>
> At 09:57 04.04.01 -0500, you wrote:
> >I would like to include a login informational page when a user first
> >authenticates to squid. Has anyone had experience doing this?

The technical side is not too hard. When the user first logs in, they
are added to a in-memory hash table. It would be fairly easy to set a
flag there in the request indication it was a first login (or even first
login from a given ip) and then send a internally generated page.
Ideally you'd craft an acl list that is used to test for when the page
is sent (I'd be happy to write you an acl type for the number of
requests a given user has had satisfied.).

The harder issue is as discussed above :]

Rob