Re: [squid-users] tuning squid 2.3/2.4 on a slow connection

From: Robert Collins <robert.collins@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 20:35:05 +1000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Babak Farrokhi" <farrokhi@earth.planet.co.ir>
To: "Joe Cooper" <joe@swelltech.com>
Cc: "Edward" <edward@cariaccess.com>; "squid"
<squid-users@squid-cache.org>
Sent: Monday, April 09, 2001 8:26 PM
Subject: Re: [squid-users] tuning squid 2.3/2.4 on a slow connection

> It's kinda limitation in wininet.dll and it's functions that does not
open
> more than 4 simultaneous connections to a website. I think increasing
it
> to 8 would increase the browsing performance. Right now I am looking
for a
> way to increase it and let internet explorer (and other apps using
> wininet.dll) to browse faster. Does anyone know any trick about it?
>
> --
> Babak Farrokhi
> Network Administrator
> Planet Networks,Inc.

HTTP/1.1 explicitly prevents user agents (aka browsers) form opening
more than 2 concurrent connections to any one server. The use of request
piplining more than makes up for the reduced concurrency given the
overhead of multiple three way handshakes.

As for wininet.dll limiting the whole machine to a given number, I'd
class that as a bug. Each process should be limited, and per site/proxy,
not as a blanket limit. Mind you, try asking Microsoft :].

Rob