[squid-users] A peculiar situation

From: Studentmail <nathan.lovell@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 15:10:19 +1000

Hi all,

I am a new poster to this list so I apologize if the question has been
answered but I did search the FAQ and archives...

My situation is that I have several PPP connections to different ISPs. I
connect to these ISPs through a gateway machine running slackware 7.1 and
kernel 2.4.3. I would like to run squid on my gateway machine to make the
process of selecting a proxy based on which connection I happen to be using
transparent to the rest of the network. At the same time I would like to be
able to retrieve cached files when no connection is present.

Basically one of these PPP accounts uses a proxy that I must log into to
retrieve anything. The other two accounts I own do not require me to use
proxies. Its a pain to set up the proxy in netscape or IE on all the client
machines every time I dial a different ISP account (which ISP I dial is
usually determined by the time of day anyway). Is there a way to make squid
recognise which ISP I have dialed and connect to a proxy or not based on
this information, thus making it transparent to the rest of the network?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Nathan Lovell