Re: [squid-users] icp port problem

From: Colin Campbell <sgcccdc@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 14:02:44 +1000 (EST)

Hi,

On Tue, 17 Apr 2001, TomC wrote:

> Hi,
> The fllowing is some config entries of squid in my company:
> # TAG: icp_port
> # The port number where Squid sends and receives ICP queries to
> # and from neighbor caches. Default is 3130. To disable use
> # "0". May be overridden with -u on the command line.
> #
> icp_port 0
> cache_peer hostname sibling 8080 3130 proxy-only no-query
>
> I have some question. The squid is compiled with enable cache digest so
> I think the cache peer will communicate with cache digest. But I don't
> know why another system engineer use "3130" instead of "7" in the entry
> "cache peer" as I read the doc of squid that they say that we should use
> "7" if we are not using icp. Why?

Port 3130 is typically where an ICP-aware proxy listens for ICP packets.
Port 7 is the "echo" port (see /etc/services). It is typicall handled by
inetd as an internal process and simply "echoes" back what you send it.
Since you have specified "no-query" I am guessing that "7" is there so
that if you query it you'll get an answer and not declare it dead and
therefore stop using it.

Colin