Re: [squid-users] urgent help required

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 07:55:42 -0500

Squid has nothing to do with messenger services. They are not HTTP
protocol services.

Real audio and video work fine over a masqueraded link (at least they do
here in our office), and nothing complicated is required. Messenger
services are usually a different problem--sometimes the user can go out
with them (assuming the masquerading is configured to allow it and the
messenger is configured correctly) but cannot receive requests. This is
simply a limitation of not having a routable IP for each host.

How is the incoming data to know which of your private IPs to go to?
The outside world only sees the real IP that is on your gateway device,
and thus will send all messages to that IP.

Again, this is not a Squid issue, and better pursued on mailing lists
devoted to IP masquerading in whatever your chosen OS is.

BTW-Yes, kernel modules are often required to get peer to peer protocols
(like messenger services) to work at all. In many cases it just isn't
possible, no matter what you do.

Good luck!

                                   --
                      Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com>