Re: [squid-users] Slow connection via ADSL

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 14:19:39 -0500

Squid does not limit download rates unless you jumped through hoops when
setting up your Squid to make it do so (i.e. enabling delay pools at
configure time, as well as setting up delay pools rules in your squid.conf).

Origin servers often limit download speeds for individual connections,
and origin servers are very often unable to service requests at the
speed of the downlink (though you say that isn't the culprit). Also,
many ISPs that claim 768kbps downstream rarely actually provide it for a
single connection and rate limit individual links.

The easy way to check is to bypass your proxy and test the speeds. This
will tell you that the problem does not lie with Squid. (There is a
very slim chance that your squid is highly overworked and thus unable to
service requests at a good speed--but I wouldn't be looking there first
if you're just supporting a few computers in your home.)

BTW-Squid is not stupid enough to be fooled by starting multiple
connections if bandwidth is being limited by Squid with a proper delay
pools configuration. Aggregate bandwidth allowed would equal your
maximum allowed bandwidth.

                                   --
                      Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com>
                  Affordable Web Caching Proxy Appliances