Re: [squid-users] CARP balancing does not work

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 00:00:58 +0200

Drazen Gemic wrote:

> CARP load balancing does not seem to work. I have disabled ICP
> communicating, and still get 50%/50% distribution for
> two CARP parents.

Squid version? Have a wague memory of this being a problem in some..

> I have noticed that people involved with Squid do not
> like CARP very much. Does it mean that this problem
> is not going to be corrected ?

I like the theory of it, but have never had any reason to use it.

What I do not like is that what we have in Squid is called CARP while it
only implements a small subset of what actually makes CARP. If something
on CARP it should be called CARP-hash distribution. From a coding
perspective about 80% of CARP is missing from Squid (1/5 implemented).
See http://squid.sourceforge.net/carp/

Sidenote: I am currently reusing the same algorithm for a similar but
different purpose (peer load distribution based on user name).

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid Hacker