Re: [squid-users] Recommended RAM

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 19:30:44 -0500

2000 reqs/sec? So you're supporting a 155Mbps link?

A single Squid box will not do 2000reqs/sec no matter what you do. Very
few web caches will, and certainly not from 2 IDE disks (at the
cacheoff, you'll see boxes with 16 SCSI Ultra 160 disks doing about that
rate--and they aren't running Squid).

I'll guess you mean 2000/min?

If so, that's not too hard at all even without an async i/o compile.
But you don't have enough RAM for 70GB of cache_dir space. 1GB of RAM
/might/ make it. I would actually recommend you drop the size of your
cache_dirs some, and raise the RAM some as well.

Shane T. Ferguson wrote:

> Hi,
>
> What would be the recommended amount of RAM for Squid 2.4.STABLE1 on Linux
> 2.2.18
> running transparently (WCCP) with a Cisco router. For disk drives, I am
> using 2x 40GB ATA-100 drives set up with the following in squid.conf:
>
> cache_dir ufs /cache2 35000 32 256
> cache_dir ufs /cache3 35000 32 256
> cache_mem 32 MB
> memory_pools off
> maximum_object_size 10240 KB
> maximum_object_size_in_memory 1024 KB
>
> The average client load is approximately 2000 requests/second and will be
> increasing over the next month or so.
>
> The reason I ask about RAM requirements is because I currently have 768MB
> installed and an enormous amount of paging is occuring (running out of swap
> space
> fast). The problem fits the description of the FAQ section:
> 11.17 My Squid becomes very slow after it has been running for some time.
>
> I have yet to try GNU malloc. If anyone can let me know if I'm actually
> running
> this box with insufficient RAM, i'd appreciate it. One other questions is
> should a box with this load have been set up with asyn-io enabled?
> Thanks
>
> Shane T. Ferguson

                      Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com>
                  Affordable Web Caching Proxy Appliances