[squid-users] Recommended RAM

From: Shane T. Ferguson <shane@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 20:15:44 -0300

Hi,

What would be the recommended amount of RAM for Squid 2.4.STABLE1 on Linux
2.2.18
running transparently (WCCP) with a Cisco router. For disk drives, I am
using 2x 40GB ATA-100 drives set up with the following in squid.conf:

cache_dir ufs /cache2 35000 32 256
cache_dir ufs /cache3 35000 32 256
cache_mem 32 MB
memory_pools off
maximum_object_size 10240 KB
maximum_object_size_in_memory 1024 KB

The average client load is approximately 2000 requests/second and will be
increasing over the next month or so.

The reason I ask about RAM requirements is because I currently have 768MB
installed and an enormous amount of paging is occuring (running out of swap
space
fast). The problem fits the description of the FAQ section:
11.17 My Squid becomes very slow after it has been running for some time.

I have yet to try GNU malloc. If anyone can let me know if I'm actually
running
this box with insufficient RAM, i'd appreciate it. One other questions is
should a box with this load have been set up with asyn-io enabled?
Thanks

Shane T. Ferguson