[squid-users] Is Squid a good choice for a Reverse Proxy?

From: Jason Ziegler <jason@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 06:23:34 -0500

I'm a total Squid newbie, so this is a question for all of you with lots
of Squid experience.

I'm looking into the best low-cost solution for configuring redundant
web servers (Apache 1.3.19 on Mac OSX 10.0.1) for use in the near future.

Is Squid a good choice for a reverse proxy? I've read that Squid is a
viable choice as a reverse proxy for those who can't afford a hardware
solution from Cisco or Coyote Point, and Ralf Engerschall says,
> "There are some dedicated proxy-software packages (for example, Squid
> Internet Object Cache, Netscape's or Microsoft's Proxy Server, and
> Sun's Netra Proxy Cache Server) and hardware-based solutions (such as
> Cisco Systems' LocalDirector and Coyote Point Systems' Equalizer) that
> can be used as reverse proxies." -
> http://www.webtechniques.com/archives/1998/05/engelschall/

Is Squid really a good choice against Engelschall's Apache-based
solution?

Has anyone here actually used Squid as a reverse proxy? If so, how did
you like it?

Thanks in advance for any help or opinions!

Jason Ziegler