Re: [squid-users] Is Squid a good choice for a Reverse Proxy?

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 08:25:00 -0500

I've installed a few Squid based accelerators for quite high profile
sites, though for different reasons. (To locally cache content from
across an overseas link.)

If you only want redundant web servers, then maybe LVS is more for you,
and just as affordable (i.e. it's free). You'll just need a small Linux
box with good network cards and a couple of days to read and research,
plus a couple more for setting it up and working out any problems you
find in your setup.

http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org

Good luck. (But yes, Squid will work--but not as fast as LVS, and
you'll need a lot more RAM for it to operate quickly.)

Jason Ziegler wrote:

> I'm a total Squid newbie, so this is a question for all of you with lots
> of Squid experience.
>
> I'm looking into the best low-cost solution for configuring redundant
> web servers (Apache 1.3.19 on Mac OSX 10.0.1) for use in the near future.
>
> Is Squid a good choice for a reverse proxy? I've read that Squid is a
> viable choice as a reverse proxy for those who can't afford a hardware
> solution from Cisco or Coyote Point, and Ralf Engerschall says,
>
> "There are some dedicated proxy-software packages (for example,
> Squid Internet Object Cache, Netscape's or Microsoft's Proxy Server,
> and Sun's Netra Proxy Cache Server) and hardware-based solutions
> (such as Cisco Systems' LocalDirector and Coyote Point Systems'
> Equalizer) that can be used as reverse proxies." -
> http://www.webtechniques.com/archives/1998/05/engelschall/
>

> Is Squid really a good choice against Engelschall's Apache-based solution?
>
> Has anyone here actually used Squid as a reverse proxy? If so, how did
> you like it?
>
> Thanks in advance for any help or opinions!
>
> Jason Ziegler

                      Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com>
                  Affordable Web Caching Proxy Appliances
                         http://www.swelltech.com