Re: [squid-users] dns problem

From: GUIDOUX R InfoEdpEtcDep <Richard.Guidoux@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 17:48:00 +0200

Hi all,

indeed, with the check of 'never_direct', no DNS resolution is done by
squid. IT is the parent proxy that is in charge of it ...

However, I have tried to set an empty 'dnsserver' file in my config. and it
does not work, it seems that squid needs and use the process.
Why does squid need it , and if not , how can I configure my squid ?

Many thanx,

Richard

On Wed, Apr 25, 2001 at 06:44:27PM +0800, Raman Sood wrote:
> hi all ,
>
> can anyone tell me how can we use squid without having a dns server on
> the machine

do you mean without having a DNS _installed_ on the proxy machine? then
simply put a valid DNS server in your /etc/resolv.conf

if you mean without accesing a nameserver _at all_ from the proxy machine
(because of some firewall restriction i guess) then check the never_direct
tag in your squid.conf file.

 --
Alberto Brealey
beto@inalambrica.net

Ce message et toutes les pieces jointes (ci-apres le "message") sont
confidentiels et etablis a l'intention exclusive de ses destinataires.
La SOCIETE GENERALE et ses filiales declinent toute responsabilite au titre de ce message s'il a ete altere, deforme ou falsifie.

                                ********

This message and any attachments (the "message") are confidential and
intended solely for the addressees.
E-mails are susceptible to alteration.
Neither SOCIETE GENERALE nor any of its subsidiaries or affiliates shall be liable for the message if altered, changed or falsified.