Re: [squid-users] dns problem

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 00:48:16 +0200

GUIDOUX R InfoEdpEtcDep wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> indeed, with the check of 'never_direct', no DNS resolution is done by
> squid. IT is the parent proxy that is in charge of it ...
>
> However, I have tried to set an empty 'dnsserver' file in my config. and it
> does not work, it seems that squid needs and use the process.
> Why does squid need it , and if not , how can I configure my squid ?

Squid needs it to exists. It won't use it unless required.

A working DNS is required when
a) Going direct to a site, which may happen unless never_direct is used.
b) If you use any of the ACL types that may require a dns lookup:
    dst, dstdomain, dstdom_regex, srcdomain, srcdom_regex

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid Hacker