Re: [squid-users] Forcing Squid to cache .stm files

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 00:36:45 +0200

Paul wrote:

> I can't seem to find any documentation on how to force Squid to cache .stm
> files. If I remember correctly, the .stm files are parsed at the server (as
> opposed to being rendered from the seperate files at the browser). The
> pages I am trying to cache aren't dynamic in nature. I have control over
> the .stm pages that I want to cache, but I read in the mailing list
> archives here that using HTML headers to control this sort of thing isn't a
> good solution.

HTML HTTP-EQUIV headers is only useful if the server in question support
HTTP-EQUIV. If it doesn't then adding the HTTP headers as HTML
HTTP-EQUIV headers will not make any difference for proxies/caches as
these does not (and should not) read the HTML code.

Addressing cacheability is best done at the server if possible.

Hmm.. stm files is usually plain "server side include" files. How to
make these cacheable depends on the kind of server you have, but it is
defenitely somewhere in the server settings, not in the pages.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid Hacker