Re: [squid-users] Parent proxy must be another squid?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 09:58:24 +0200

Joao Pedro Clemente wrote:

> But the only thing i know of the proxy is the address:port (well, I had to
> check the auto-config file that the ISP provides, and check what value
> they have there) , but I dunno what proxy software it runs.. Is there a
> problem even if it IS NOT squid?

Any HTTP proxy should be fine. But you probably have to disable ICP
(usually a good thing to do in parent relations anyway so..)

> One other thing.. can squid read those "auto-proxy-config" files ?
> That way I would avoid a problem if they switched the machine or if they
> got it down to maintenance or something...

No. Squid cannot read JavaScript Proxy Autoconfiguration scripts. Not
sure it would be such a good idea.

If they change machine or take it down Squid will most likely notice and
start going direct instead.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid Hacker