[squid-users] Squid Configuration, and other niggling things ....

From: David Flynn <Dave@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 20:50:22 +0100

Hi guys,
            I have been using squid for a while as a small scale proxy, and
have not worried too much about its configuration, however, a project that
requires the use of squid has brought to light some points i have been
unable to clarify.

Firstly, we are running squid on an ISDN connection, so we have a
theoretical maximum bandwidth of 16KB/s to play with. The test (production)
site (it is a school) has a maximum of 200 simultanious users, and during
lesson times its very likley that there will be 3 groups of 24 clients
looking at possibly the same content (thats say 3 seperate classes, one
looking meep.com, the second foo.com, and the third bar.com).

System wise we currently are running a PPro 100 with 128 MB of RAM, and a
six Gig SCSI II (uw ?) 7.5kRPM drive (log files are stored on a seperate
IDE drive) (It will be upgraded pending this trail)

My queries are the following :
+ What should one use for the cache_dir options ? how many directories, and
what is a recommended size (it is currently ag 600MB) (rest, default)

+ What should the memory usage options be configured as ? currently i am
using cache_mem = 32

+ As this is an experimental system + some extra software other than squid,
we have made use of squid's SNMP functions and use MRTG to draw lots of
pretty graphs ... however, we need to know which (if any graph) shows the
ratio of say requests fetched from cache to the requests fetched from forign
server ... ie, we need to prove to the people who have the budgets that the
cache does make a difference to "their internet experience" (as they like to
call it !) and the way to do that is give them a picture saying it does so !
(we also want the data for research)

- On that point as well, we have had a strange thing in the log files, where
our connection which is only 16KB, the graph of cacheserverinoutkb shows a
very large spike in the order of several hundred kB/s ... additionally at
the same time the number of requests a second (more on this later) shows a
spike of 80 req / sec ( ithink ... please check the images on
http://proxy.trinity.idium.eu.org/mrtgstat/squid.htm Note this has fallen
off the current graph and on to the 30min avg ... which is alot less than
the 5min avg ... the anomalies are shown on cachehttpinoutkb,
cacheserverinoutkb, cacheserverrequests, cacheprotoclienthttprequests

+ Finally, what do all the different stats mean which have something to do
with requests recieved per second from clients ?

Thanks (i think that is all for now),
Any help would be greatly apreciated

Regards,
Dave
---------------------------------------
The information in this e-mail and any files sent with it is confidential to
the ordinary user of the e-mail address to which it was addressed and may
also be legally privileged. It is not to be relied upon by any person other
than the addressee except with the sender's prior written approval. If no
such approval is given, the sender will not accept liability (in negligence
or otherwise) arising from any third party acting, or refraining from
acting, on such information. If you are not the intended recipient of this
e-mail you may not copy, forward, disclose or otherwise use it or any part
of it in any form whatsoever. If you have received this e-mail in error
please notify the sender immediately, destroy any copies and delete it from
your computer system. Have a nice Day !