Re: [squid-users] Squid 2.4 rpms?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 00:16:52 +0200

M. Yu wrote:

> hit the fan just a day after it was released). I understand 7.1 still uses
> gcc 2.96 (same controversial version as in 7.0) but keeping my fingers
> crossed. What I like about RH7.1 is that it uses kernel 2.4 which already
> has kernel support for ReiserFS among other improvements.

RH7.1 uses a GCC with the same 2.96 version number that the RH7.0 has,
but with a huge set of bug fixes. The current RedHat GCC-2.96 version is
said to actually work quite well.

This is a pain for any open-source software maintainer as there is no
good ways to detect which version of "2.96" the user is using. One
works, the other does not and causes a multitude of odd problems..

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid Hacker