[squid-users] Will transparent proxying with SSL work?

From: Kenneth Stephen <kstephen@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 13:12:57 -0500

Hi,

        I have come across posts to the squid mailing lists on this topic circa
1999. The statements I've seen made on this topic can be summarized as :
"Why do you want to do this - there is no benefit to caching SSL
traffic".

        Well - I do _not_ want caching. Nevertheless I do need a transparent
proxy that can handle SSL. Let me explain :

        I have a private network (ip address range of 192.168.0.*) in a lab
with each ip-address running a proxy server on it. Naturally, the router
doesnt allow traffic for 192.168.0.* into or out of the lab. I was
hoping that with a transparent proxy running on the router, the http
traffic could be correctly served to machines external to the lab - i.e.
the transparent proxy would make the requests to the proxy servers
running on the private ip addresses on behalf of the clients outside the
lab. Now, from reading the docs, there seems to be no problem to
implementing it with http. However, it is not clear to me that this is
possible with https. Is this possible with squid? Is there a better
solution to my problem that doesnt involve using squid? Any help would
be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Kenneth Stephen