Re: [squid-users] Received Segment Violation...dying

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 03:11:34 -0600

On Tue, May 01, 2001, Ronald wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just Curious. Could you explain me in detail???
>
> Thanks,
> Ronald.
>
> > This smells like a gcc optimisation bug. try rebuilding lib/rfc1035
> > with -O1 , and then delete src/squid and relink the squid binary.

gcc is known to have various bugs when building on various platforms.
gcc is also known to have various bugs in optimisation levels over 1.
The gcc shipped with freebsd-4.2 had this problem, and I have a nasty
feeling that freebsd-4.3 is going to have a similar problem for people
who don't build it from the port.

In this particular case, gcc is generating an xor <register>, <register>
instruction which blanks the register. When you debug squid in gcc,
the pointer value becomes magically NULL, no matter what was passed
in to the function. This is obviously .. bad. :-)

Adrian