Re: [squid-users] echo "" > access.log

From: Brett Lymn <blymn@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2001 19:54:37 +0930 (CST)

According to wojtek@3miasto.net:

>> Is it a bad thing ot do echo "" > access.log
>> echo "" > store.log, instead of squid -k rotate?
>it should work

Not really - squid keeps the files open so overwriting them with an
empty file will not do much except make you lose your logs since the
old file will be unlinked but squid will keep writing to it. This
will result in your disk space being mysteriously eaten whilst you
have 0 length access.log and store.log files. Use "squid -k rotate"
that is what it is for - I refuse to believe that you cannot find a
quiet time to rotate the logs.