Re: [squid-users] SMB_auth Backup

From: Mike Diggins <diggins@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2001 10:05:27 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 7 May 2001, Brett Lymn wrote:

> According to Simon Bryan:
> >
> >Haven't tried this, but what about installing Samba and running as a BDC in
> >the domain and authenticate against itself?
> >

> I don't think that will work unless Samba emulates the Netlogon
> share. If it does you will be ok but I am not sure. I doubt if I
> would get a chance to try this, I cannot imagine our NT guys letting
> me have a samba BDC on the network :-/

I'm in the same boat. Another group manages the NT domain controllers so
this isn't a viable option for us!

I am considering creating a script that performs a test authentication
using the SMB_AUTH program standalone. Based on the results of that test I
could swap the squid.conf with one that points at a BDC and them issues a
squid -k reconfigure command. Not exactly clean but likely better than the
PDC going down and not working at all.

-Mike