Re: [squid-users] Linux, SGI's XFS Filesystem and SQUID

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 17:08:04 -0500

wojtek@3miasto.net wrote:

>>Hi,
>> Has anyone tried SGI's XFS Filesystem on Linux with SQUID ?
>>
>>How does the performance compare to ReiserFS ?
>>

> IMHO reiserfs is much faster. i'm almost sure.

Unless you've seen benchmarks that I have not, then you're just playing
favorites and voicing unfounded opinions. XFS would appear to be faster
for some aspects of Squid's workloads (reads and writes), and slower for
others (deletes). XFS also exhibits less performance degradation over
time due to fragmentation (which severely impedes the performance of
ReiserFS for Squid). It will require extensive testing to know which is
actually faster for Squid. No one has done that testing, to my
knowledge, so no one knows which will be faster.
                                   --
                      Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com>
                  Affordable Web Caching Proxy Appliances