Re: [squid-users] Accelerator and DNS conflicts

From: Alan Lapthorn <alanl@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 15:57:32 +0000

Simon

You wrote:

> Hi Alan,
> All you need to do is use a redirector program, there are some links to
> various ones on the squid web site
> (http://www.squid-cache.org/related-software.html).

I was working up to this point, I've compiled Squirm on the machine, and
was going to figure out how that works next...

> Make sure you have the following set in your squid.conf:-
>
> httpd_accel_host virtual
> httpd_accel_port 80
> httpd_accel_uses_host_header on

Done

> Then make the redirector translate the FQDN that is in the host header into
> whatever address you want.

But I surely can't translate the FQDN in the Host: header, the Apache
server running multiple virtual servers, will only respond to one
particular name, which I cannot change without much difficultly.

[bit snipped]
> This can be used to great effect, for example you can get the redirector to
> translate the fqdn to an internal DNS setting which maps to multiple
> servers. This way squid will load balance across the available servers when
> passing requests to the backend servers as well as coping with all but one
> of the backend servers falling over!.

If I get that working, we can then retire our expensive Alteons!

Many thanks

Alan

--
Alan Lapthorn              t: +44 20 7240 8121
Systems Administrator      f: +44 20 7240 8098