RE: [squid-users] Accelerator and DNS conflicts

From: Simon Morley <simon@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 15:30:15 +0100

Hi Alan,
        All you need to do is use a redirector program, there are some links to
various ones on the squid web site
(http://www.squid-cache.org/related-software.html).

Make sure you have the following set in your squid.conf:-

httpd_accel_host virtual
httpd_accel_port 80
httpd_accel_uses_host_header on

Then make the redirector translate the FQDN that is in the host header into
whatever address you want.

We have a similar thing setup to front-end a load of Windows 2000 web
servers with Squid. When someone goes to www.xaraonline.com/foo/ it in fact
gets changed into an internal URL which is quite different :-)

This can be used to great effect, for example you can get the redirector to
translate the fqdn to an internal DNS setting which maps to multiple
servers. This way squid will load balance across the available servers when
passing requests to the backend servers as well as coping with all but one
of the backend servers falling over!.

--
Simon Morley (simon@xaraonline.com)
Network Manager for Xara Online (http://www.xaraonline.com/)