[squid-users] Accelerator and DNS conflicts

From: Alan Lapthorn <alanl@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 15:13:22 +0000

This is my first post, and I've done a fair bit of looking at how DNS
and squid work together in accelerator mode.

We have a squid web proxy (A) which needs to accelerate an apache
virtual server running on machine (B). By the miracle of DNS everyone
in the world thinks machine A is the web site, but this includes A
itself. I want machine A(running squid) to think B is the web site for
content, and thus pass all headers intact, especially HTTP/1.1 Host:
headers (remember Apache Virtual Server) onto machine B.

Unfortunately if it does a DNS lookup it comes back with itself, and
refuses to work!

Is there a way of getting round this? I cannot change machine B config
without much difficulty, but I can do pretty much what I want with
machine A, which is running RH6.2 - Squid 2.3.STABLE1.

Hopefully someone has seen this before...

Many thanks

Alan

--
Alan Lapthorn              t: +44 20 7240 8121
Systems Administrator      f: +44 20 7240 8098