Re: [squid-users] Build options for single Squid v2.4 cache?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 13 May 2001 00:32:58 +0200

Steve Snyder wrote:

> 1. The iffy documentation of the configuration options suggest that I don't
> need the options below. True?
>
> --enable-htcp
> --enable-icmp
> --enable-carp

True.

> 2. Is there any drawback to enabling options (like those above) that are
> not used? That is, if I opt out of using these feature in squid.conf, am I
> burdened somehow by having these features compiled into the code?

If you enable ICMP, then Squid will start pinging sites wildly to
measure RTT times. Not of any use what so ever if you are not in a very
complex and ugly cache mesh.

--enable-htcp will do little besides adding yet another ICP like
protocol to Squid, and a corresponding listening port unless you disable
it from squid.conf. Again of no use unless you are in a cache mesh, and
even then of quite limited use as HTCP is experimental and there is yet
very little to gain in Squid from using HTCP compared to ICP (mainly
drawbacks in increased bandwidth usage).

--enable-carp is again only interesting if you are in a cache hierarchy,
and then only if your parent is an array of caches. The option is also
quite aggresive and completely changes Squid's peering model if enabled.

Rule of thumb: Do not use any configure options you do not know you
need.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid Hacker