Re: [squid-users] diskd, reiserfs

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 02:42:08 -0500

Krasi Zlatev wrote:

> I plan to get a 40GB drive ot enlarge my proxy.
> What would you advice me to use ufs, diskd or
> reiserfs?

Different issues entirely. ReiserFS is a system filesystem. UFS and
DiskD are names the Squid uses for it's disk i/o subsystems. You cannot
choose ReiserFS in Squid, or DiskD in your OS...and while, by
coincidence there is a UFS filesystem in BSD based Unices, the term as
used by Squid simply means for Squid to use it's traditional disk
interface rather than the newfangled aufs or diskd interfaces.

Since you are using ReiserFS, we know you're using Linux as the
underlying OS. So why would you want to use DiskD, instead of aufs?
Async i/o on Linux is faster than DiskD...so if performance is your
reason for wanting to use DiskD, then async i/o is the better choice.

Upgrading to the latest 2.4 daily snapshot is probably your safest, and
most efficient choice, as it is now nearly as fast and stable as
2.2.STABLE5+hno when compiled with async i/o. (Though I haven't yet
begun switching our clients boxes, because of a few small concerns.)

> I am using patched 2.2.STABLE5.
> Is there a patch to allow that version to use diskd if
> that is what i need.

No, and there will not be. If diskd is what you need, then 2.2STABLE5
definitely is not. The /only/ good reason for using 2.2STABLE5 that I
know of was to use the hno patches and an async i/o compile, because
until very very recently that was the fastest/stable Squid available
(while the 2.3 Squid series was unusable in an async i/o configuration).
  2.4 is now about as fast and about as stable in an async i/o compile,
so probably no need to use 2.2STABLE5.

> And is there a patch to allow that version to use
> LFUDA?

No. And fiddling with replacement policies in Squid is almost a
fruitless pursuit, if you have plenty of disk space (and who doesn't in
this day).

> And the last question, for this 40GB drive should i
> set it to the default Level-1 Level-2: 16 256 or the
> values must be differenet.

First thing, don't try to use all 40GB unless you have an insane amount
of RAM (like 1.5GB). If you have 512MB or RAM, you can safely configure
about 24GB of that for use by the cache.

                                   --
                      Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com>
                  Affordable Web Caching Proxy Appliances